Six rural transit systems were honored last week by receiving this year's Outstanding Rural Transit System award. The awards were presented by FTA Deputy Administrator Therese McMillan at last week's National Conference on Rural Public and Intercity Bus Transportation in Burlington, Vermont. SURTC director Jill Hough presided over the ceremony. The awards were given to the following transit providers:
- Special Transit of Boulder, CO
- Rural Community Transportation of St. Johnsbury, VT
- Citylink Public Transit System of Worley, ID
- Upper Cumberland Human Resource Agency of Cookeville, TN
- Flint Hills Transportation Agency of Manhattan, KS
- South Central Adult Services Council of Valley City, ND
The awards were given to rural systems that have addressed and overcome major challenges in providing coordinated transportation services resulting in rural and urban synergies. The U.S. Secretary of Transportation congratulated the winners and discussed the important role rural transit operators provide in this blog, the FAST LANE.